Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The Lasting Impact of Dr. Paschall

I had been a math teacher and coach in the Chattanooga area for 20 years when I decided to take a job in the business world. I became unhappy with that decision and decided to get back into teaching and coaching, but I wanted to work at a good private school. Someone told me to get in touch with Dr. Douglas Paschall of Montgomery Bell Academy. I sat down and wrote him a letter, never thinking I would ever really hear from him. Several days later I was called to the phone at work, and the caller identified himself as Dr. Douglas Paschall of MBA. I almost dropped the phone. He proceeded to tell me that I probably didn't know him, but that he certainly knew me! He went on to tell me that after attending Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar his first professional job was at UT Chattanooga as an English instructor, and it was my senior year there playing basketball for the UTC Mocs. He said he saw all of my home games and that he wanted to talk to me about a job at MBA. I had two young boys, and I was thrilled at the prospect. Twenty two years later I retired from MBA and both my boys also graduated from the the school. Writing to Dr. Paschall was the best decision I ever made in my life, and I am so thankful for everything that has happened to my family because of it! Dr. Paschall was a wonderful man, and he changed my life forever!

submitted by Mr. Pat Woolsey

Blog Archive