Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Ripple Effect

One day in Junior English our teacher couldn’t make class at the last minute. Mrs. Lowry substituted and, although I had of course heard of her legendary teaching techniques, this was my first personal exposure to her energy and enthusiasm. I was impressed, and, to be honest, a little intimidated.

Later that day, as I walked past the door to her classroom, Mary Helen was sitting at her desk grading papers. I stuck my head in and said a quick thank you for teaching our class today. She responded with her 100 watt smile and a hearty “You’re welcome!” I didn’t think much of it at the time; I was just being polite when an opportunity arose. But, from that day forward, she was my biggest booster.

The next year, when I was in her senior English class, her encouragement and attention inspired me to perform at a higher level. Until that point, I had been a minimum sufficiency student. After that, I applied myself, gained confidence in my capacities, and discovered a love of learning that took me all the way through Vanderbilt Law School…and continues to this day.

I have shared this story often with younger people to illustrate how a simple act of kindness can make a world of difference. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to share it with the MBA community.


submitted by Guy Marsh '75

Blog Archive