Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Bill Wade Made Me See Stars!

It was a beautiful Spring day in 1947. I was leisurely enjoying watching some of my fellow sophomore classmates playing tennis when Coach Howard Allen came out of the old gym and shouted at me, "Klein, get off your lazy *** and come out and play a man's game--football!
Sure enough, the next day I dressed out for Spring practice and had my first football experience. It was to form two lines; one being the runner, the other being the tackler-the object- to tackle and bring down the runner.
I was the tackler, AND THE GREAT, HIGH STEPPING QUARTERBACK, BILL WADE WAS THE RUNNER!!! This was my BIG MOMENT, I was determined to bring him down, AND I DID!!!---CRASH******* I SAW STARS!
I doubt if Bill remembered THAT MOMENT, BUT, I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN IT.

The memory of Bill Wade, as a role model human being and as a great football player will ever remain as a fine example of the spirit and lessons learned while one is fortunate enough to be a student at MBA.


submitted by Jerry Klein '49

Blog Archive